Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Houston, we have a problem...

Last night was sleep camp. I ended up very frustrated, due to the fact that the directions were absolutely horrible (it said I had to turn onto roads, when in fact the roads just changed names and I should've just kept going straight). Anyway, I finally got everything figured out, and got in around 9pm. I filled out some forms, and started getting all hooked up around 9:30pm. My mom decided to stay the night, due to the fact that it would've just been me and Mike (the sleep tech) in this big building by ourselves. I wasn't worried about it, but it made her feel better to stay. The three of us chatted while all the wires were getting hooked up. Anf if you ever wondered what a person would look like during a sleep test, well...there you go. I had two more electrode things on the back of my head. At this point I am "unhooked" from the machine so I could go to the bathroom. All the hooking up finished around 10:15pm, and lights out were at 10:30. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get to sleep, because I got up late. Anyway, the night went pretty well, except for the fact that I woke up a few times when all the wires would pull on my head when I'd try to turn over or move around too much. Mike woke me up at 6am today and told me that I was going home and not staying for the daytime study. He told me the night before that if the results indicated sleep apnea (where you stop breathing) or hypopnea (where your breathing slows down). Based on what he saw, he figured I was on the border between mild and moderate. I don't have my formal results yet, but he saw enough to confirm that it's probably sleep apnea and that that's the reason I've been tired. So, the next step is to wait and see what the doctor wants to do after my study is fully graded or whatever. I figure I'll have to get a c-pap machine to make sure that I get enough oxygen at night and stop waking myself up. I really didn't think I had sleep apnea because I don't snore, I'm not a lot overweight, and I'm not older. It does seem to run in families though, so I guess I got the genes for it. Anyway, I have another sleep study (this time with the c-pap machine) tentatively scheduled for January 14. I should hear before then what the doctor thinks the best plan of action is. Part of me is like, "Great, something else wrong with me, and I don't want to wear a stupid mask thing," and part of me is like, "Woohoo! They finally found the problem! Now they can fix it!" I'm ready and willing to try it though, especially if it makes me feel better.

The other day I was reading on a knitting blog and came across this thing called "Project 365." Basically, you take a picture a day for every day during the year. The picture should sum up the day or represent something about that day. I would like to do this (and will try) but I'm not going to formally commit or anything. I don't want to be all stressed out about it. That also goes along with the resolution I forgot, which was to update the blog more often. But anyway, yesterday's picture is the one above.

Today's picture shows what's under my sink. See that big black thing on the left? That's one of the things my dad got me for Christmas (aka a garbage disposal!!). He installed it today, and I'm really excited to use it. I hate having to scrape the leftover bits into the trash, and now I can just disposal them away! I've been asking for one pretty much since I moved in (March 2005), so it's nice to finally have everything hooked up. It also only required two trips to the store to get all the parts.

For my day today, I basically did more cleaning. My house loves me for finally paying some attention to it. The big project for tomorrow is to vacuum the daylights out of the place, and make sure I get up all the little leaf bits that Riley brings in. I also want to hang more pictures (and get some framed). We'll see how much of that I can get accomplished tomorrow. I also went to the rec center, where I rode the bicycle thing and listened to the new Lime and Violet podcast.

Now it's time to go work on the Celebration socks. I didn't have the hours to sit and knit today like I wanted, and all I've managed to do is cast on. Oh! I got my package that I ordered from Borders via Amazon. Scott gave me a $25 Borders gift card, and I ordered Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch (and I currently want to knit every sock in this book) and Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I'm excited to have these two additions to my knitting book collection!


Sula said...

AHH Julie!

I'm glad that something fixable is wrong with you (did that sound like I meant it to?). Haven't you been struggling with this for a while? I remember you keeping all kinds of crazy hours in Johnson.

I love those books! Have you read Elizabeth Zimmerman before? Her generation's Harlot, I tell you. I am currently on the wait list for the Charlotte Schurch for the, let's see, I think this will be the fourth time I've checked it out! If you haven't done so already, you've got to get your hands on some Nancy Bush, esp. the vintage sock book. Ok, especially all of them.

And here are your own socks! They look great (gauge issues? What gauge issues? I do love little needles, though). I've got more where that came from. I bet it takes no time to make socks for your feet! ;) I just finished a pair of socks for my grandpa, and Grandma's will hopefully soon follow.

I love your Grandma's sweater too. It looks so good and is is so beautiful on her. I went back through your archives looking for more pics. You know that I at least want to see all the good details...

Take care! Hope you don't mind a new stalker on your blog.

Kyrene said...

Good post.